Sunday, January 11, 2015

Week 1: 12/28-01/03


Week 1
     Happy New Year! Minocqua this year was different from usual. Different cousins were here this year, which made it kind of fun. I got to hang out with baby Oliver and the Kruits this time around so that made things younger.
     This year's Minocqua trip became the beer trip. I think having much younger kids there allowed the 20-somethings to be a little more flexible, no teenagers were around. Between Patrick, David, and myself, there was plenty of beer-snobbery to go around. We tried dozens of Wisconsin craft brews from the local store and went to Murtaugh's Pub, Minocqua Brewery, and Otto's tavern. Otto's is the German "beer garden" type place. I was surprised that neither Patrick nor David had been there, Patrick being basically German and David a huge fan of Europe in general. Regardless, we enjoyed ourselves eating brats and drinking German beer.
     It was cold up there most days, but that meant the lake was definitely frozen. I golfed out on the frozen lake for the first time and it was a cool experience. Luckily I managed to find all four golf balls after hitting them out about 140 yards (three of them were white). It helped that the snow was basically untouched.
    Other than eating, drinking, and being merry, I read a good chunk of "Storm of Swords" and finished most of "Sons of Anarchy" this trip. It was a good hibernation and escape from the world, as always.

Profound Thought: After having hung out with baby Oliver for a week, I realized that I could feasibly (that is, financially and physically) carry the responsibility of a child if I had to. Like, if for whatever reason fate handed me a baby in 9 months, I would have the means to handle that. It wouldn't be the end of the world. I graduate in less than 5 months and wouldn't have trouble landing a decent job right after, so financially I could manage it. It's just weird to think that I'm no longer in that category of "teens" or young people who could "screw up their futures" by having a kid. I'm actually at an age where a lot of people do that and it's freaky....not that it would happen any time soon lol

2 comments:

  1. Remember to get a babysitter for Thursday nights! But seriously, I would love to see how the dynamic about the Bropartment would change with a baby

    ReplyDelete