Saturday, August 29, 2015

Week 35: 08/23-08/29

Week 35
     08/23 - This week I move down to Texas! I'll be leaving on the 25th and have much to do before then. I've contrived a nifty way to pack up my shirts. I hung them up on a clothes rack then wrapped them entirely in a vacuum-seal bag, hangars and all. Then I just suck out the air. This keeps them from getting all wrinkled but still saves a ton of space. All of my other clothes I managed to get into a bag I'm referring to as "the Cube." It's rather dense but it should cover everything. Clothes: packed.


     08/24 - I needed a haircut, but I didn't want to go out and get one or pay for one...so I cut it myself. Yes, I cut my own hair and it actually worked. Mirrors and iPads are quite useful for seeing the back of one's head.
     The Jeep is all packed up and ready for adventure! There's not much space for the third passenger in the back but I made it work. I also realized that bike racks are overrated when you have a Jeep. I managed to easily strap my bike to the Jeep's spare tire. I realized later this was a bit of a pain when trying to open the door, only because the window would hit the handlebars as it opened. Note for next time: strap in to the tire upside-down.
Herbert gets a full seat
Engineering at its finest



















     08/25 - We are off! Destination: Little Rock, Arkansas. First stop: Chuck Town, USA. I realized as I looked at a map of the midwest that it would be quite easy for me to make a pit stop in Charleston to see Melissa on my way down to Texas, no more than 20 minutes off the highway. So that's what we did! It was nice to see her place and grab a cup of Joe. Chuck Vegas isn't as bad as she might make it sound ;p
     The last time I drove through Arkansas was during the spring and it was desolate. Post-summer, however, it's still infinitely flat but has a bit more character and color. This is good, I was starting to feel really bad for Arkansas people. We finally arrived after 11 hours of driving in Little Rock, Arkansas. I did ALL the driving while my parents just chilled. It was a solid drive and no tickets this time! lol
     08/26 - After long last, College Station! We made it to College Station after about another 6 hours of driving, piece of cake after the 11 I put in the day before. First impressions: Texas A&M is huge! I guess I didn't realize it, but TAMU is actually a bigger school than UIUC. The buildings are taller, the trucks here are all massive white pickup trucks, everything IS bigger in Texas. It's not a lie. I immediately headed on over to my new Texas home: The Stack. This place is super nice. The pool is phenomenal, I have my own bathroom, the kitchen is great and there's a gym somewhere in the building (still haven't found it). Pictures:



      08/27 - Today was fill-the-fridge day. I got a lot of groceries. A big grocery store down here is HEB, not sure what it stands for. For dinner me, Peter, and my parents went to Grub Burger Bar. It was incredible. It's definitely on par with 8 Oz., while not quite as tasty, equally tasty if weighted with price. Also, there is a bar and they have boozy milkshakes, similar to Lunchbox Laboratory.
     08/29 - I spend the rest of the week going to orientation and generally exploring. My parents flew out of Austin on Friday. School starts on Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment